The Amish Use Mirrors
- While the Amish do not take pictures of themselves, they do use mirrors. The use of a mirror is allowed because unlike a picture, it is not a graven image. Women use mirrors to do their hair and men use mirrors to shave. If you take our guided farmhouse tour, you’ll spot a few mirrors in the house.
The Amish Have No Dietary Restrictions
- “What do the Amish eat?” is the most popular question we get from tourists. Having no dietary restrictions means they can eat whatever their heart desires. While many Amish stick to a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch diet, we’ve seen Amish dine at Olive Garden and take their buggies through the Burger King drive thru line. Next time you’re in Lancaster County and want to try Amish homestyle cooking, join us for a dinner with an Amish family. Go to Deluxe Dinner Tour
Yes, the Amish Pay Taxes
- The Amish are citizens of the United States which mean they must pay taxes at the local, state and federal level.
The Amish Sing From the Oldest Continuously Used Christian Song Book
- In church services the Amish use a Christian song book called the Ausband. This book is based on 51 songs written by the Anabaptists who once lived in Europe. The songs speak about church goers who were imprisoned and turned to God to relieve them from their suffering. Join our house tour to hear a sample of a song from the Ausband.
The Amish Actually Go to Hospitals
- While most Amish would first opt to use homeopathic medicine, they will still go to hospitals and make appointments with their family doctor.